Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday - the tale of the dishwasher


OK, so those of you that know me know that I am a fairly clean person. I do a chore a day, keep things picked up for the most part (just don't look at my closet), and freak out over bugs (try watching Discovery's Verminators show, it'll make you puke). So, today I was unloading my dishwasher and found a bug. I freaked out and re-washed my dishes (after killing the bug) and decided to take apart the plastic arm and cup, etc. that collect the food and particles from going "down the drain" in the dishwasher (why for, I don't know). It was really clogged with this gunky stuff - it's either the kind of detergent I'm using (eco-brand, phosphate free of course) or it's from washing water bottles (a no-no now I know because of BPA) with the labels on (DOH). So I make a trip to Allen's Grocery, buy hydrogen peroxide because my eco-friendly Green Works is not doing the job, neither is vinegar. I also buy plastic gloves because this stuff is thick and sticky. Turns out that De-Solv-It worked the best. So I proceed to put the dishwasher back together. Only I've forgotten the order the stuff goes in (it was a long ordeal). And I already know I don't have the manual (issues with dishwasher before). So I call Fridgedaire and talked to a nice lady who even got the actual parts out to assist me. She kept insisting that this one part went before another part and I kept insisting that it didn't. It was funny to hear us describe the parts - it's a cup thing with a metal screen and a beak. Or, it's a large circle with a hole in the middle and lots of little holes around it. THEN she asks - well, is your husband home? I should have replied - why yes. We both happen to be at home at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Thursday and he is bemusedly watching me disassemble a dishwasher. I just called because I was lonely.

Needless to say, I finally got the dishwasher re-assembled. Turns out she was right, I just had kinda warped one piece from scrubbing it so hard in my manic cleaning spree that I had to push a little bit harder on it to get it to go on. Oh, and my free Fridgedaire manual is in the mail...

Gotta go now, the dishwasher is making a funny sound....

No comments: