Monday, March 9, 2009

Garden Update


Washed and ready to eat.

If you read my blog with any kind of regularity, you know that I love to garden! (P.S. all of those container herbs died! Why oh why am I able to grow gallons of green beans and cannot keep thyme alive in a pot is beyond me!) I attempted a fall/winter garden of beets, lettuce, snap peas and spinach this year and the only thing that made it was the spinach. I planted it back in September if you'll recall this post, and finally got around to harvesting it when I went outside with D today to clean the garden out and prep it for this season. I was amazed at how hardy this plant is! I had pretty much given up on anything growing out there due to the cold temps and ice that we got this year. Plus we got tons of water that washed away the beet seedlings and lettuce seeds. The snap peas grew stalks, but the cold killed any peas that formed. But not the spinach! I didn't water it, fertilize it, or even visit it out in the winter wasteland and steadfastly, it grew. I thought it would taste bitter, but it just tastes like leafy green goodness. Here is what I gathered from the two mature heads. There are several more that never grew bigger than my hand, but have gotten bigger and presumably will continue with the spring.


I wish I could come up with some clever spinach/God analogy - maybe something about His steadfast and unwavering love in the harshest of climates? Or maybe how nutritious He is? But I am at a loss. I just sit and marvel at the design of it all. That's one reason why I like to garden. Maybe that's my analogy. :)

No comments: