Sunday, January 11, 2009

Crash and Burn







I failed to mention my story about prepping for our 5k race in my previous post. I went down to the park the day before our race to run a mile to warm up. I was cruising along - making really good time, feeling really good - when BAM!!! I find myself on the ground, somewhat confused. I realized I had tripped over a too long shoelace loop. Undaunted, I continued. Then my phone flies out of my pocket and the roller ball and other parts that keep it in place flew out (it's a second hand Blackberry Pearl). I found them quickly and continued on. Not but 2 minutes later - and about 3/10's of the way from the end of my mile - I fell AGAIN. This time it felt like slow motion, complete with surprised look, hands up in the air, mouthing W....H.....OOOOO....AAAA... This time, it hurt. I managed to scrape up my shoulder and palm and bruise my right hip. I felt like I had broken my hand. I laid there for a while before picking myself up and walking back to my car. The best part - it was 5:00 p.m. and I fell in front of about 100 cars sitting in rush hour traffic. I hope they all had a good laugh at my expense! I still finished my mile in 10 minutes despite my injuries and would have finished in 8 had I taken the time to triple knot my laces...

No comments: