Sunday, November 27, 2011

December – Boost Energy: A focus on Vitality

After three months on sleeping pills ($200/month!), staying up too late, sleeping in too late, I decided my project needed to start with a month focusing on energy. My mood is always better automatically when I feel rested. Fortunately, I haven't had to have a sleeping pill in 3 weeks, even though not every night has been a great night's sleep. And I won't deny the Benadryl. God bless Benadryl.
So my first goal in this month’s resolution is to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night. Sleep studies (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-many-hours-of-sleep-are-enough/AN01487) show that adults should get 7-9 hours of sleep, so 7 hours is on the low end. Since I get up at 5:15 a.m. (or try to!), this means I need to BE asleep no later than 10:15 p.m. It takes me at least 30 minutes to fall asleep, I need to be in bed by 9:45 p.m. I struggle with this some, because I do a lot of things to get ready for work the next day. I iron my clothes, make my lunch and snacks and get my gym clothes ready for the next day. After I get home from work, I cook, play with my son, get him in to bed, do the above items, and by then it’s already 9:30 p.m., which leaves little time to relax. I’m going to try to carve out more time in the evening to relax, meditate, write in my journal, pray/read my Bible, AND try to get in bed by 9:45 p.m.!
Drink less caffeine. Since I switched from coffee to black or green tea, I have slept better.
Drink 100 oz of water a day.

Workout schedule:
Do yoga 3-4 times a week. Don’t force it to be a certain amount of time, just do what you can in the time you have.
In addition, Run 3 times a week.
Cross train 2 times a week.
Rest 2 days a week.
Give myself latitude to rest more if I need it.
This is similar to what I already do for exercise but adding in more yoga to prevent injury and restore. Yoga is good for mind, body and soul.

I’ll add/change goals as I go along!

No comments: